1. Medical Coaching
Coaching GPs and Practice Managers to improve effectiveness
In order for them to be part of the solution to the current challenges, GPs need to be able to find space to think, develop resilience and manage themselves, their practice staff and their current working situations. To enable this, NHS England commissioned a programme by Beyond Coaching offering GPs the opportunity to receive two confidential one-to-one coaching sessions with a professional coach. Coaching was identified as a means to offer support that is forward-looking, action-orientated, positive and personal. The aim of the programme was to provide time and space to think in a way that supported them to make positive changes and, not only to survive the current environment, but to flourish and enable greater levels of retention.
How it worked
What we did
- Move from a feeling of being stuck with no options or choice to feeling empowered
- Clarify areas of influence and concern, accepting what they can’t change and work with what they can
- Unlock motivation – aligning their intellect and energy to what they are passionate about
- Build confidence to want to engage with and make changes, to make better decisions for themselves, their practice and patients
- Facilitate quality time to think and have their mindsets and perceptions challenged
- Build resilience so that they can be, think, diagnose and treat well, and work with the wider system
Our coaching stats so far…
GPs and PMs coached
coaching sessions delivered
After just 2 coaching sessions, GPs and PMs made significant improvements:
reported a positive impact of coaching on themselves
were able to achieve a better work-life balance
improved personal effectiveness and efficiency
Had a reduction in their levels of stress and anxiety
improved the effectiveness of their communication
reduction in likelihood of leaving General Practice
What some of the GPs and PMs said
This was my first introduction to coaching and something I would recommend and be keen to do more of.
The first session was a real eye opener and helped me identify some key areas to improve, the second session helped me realise how I had taken on board what we had identified, applied them and improved myself, and a plan going forward.
It was also very insightful to look at the theory and that helped me put things into place.